Sunday, June 2, 2013

ER #14 - The Good News & The Bad News

On Friday I proceeded to have my "easy peasy" outpatient day surgery... Drains were being put in my liver to help alleviate the build up of bile.  

For those of you who read my blog on a regular basis... Then you know that things did not turn out as "easy peasy" as they should have been.  

After a seemingly successful procedure, I ended up at home and started my recovery process.  The next thing I knew I ended up in the Emergency Room a couple hours later because of a leak in my incision site.  After a CT scan, additional tests and lab work, the entertainment of listening to a crazy Friday night in the ER and realizing I was placed in the same room where they told me I had breast cancer... The ER Doctor came in to reveal the good news and the bad news.

The Good News
The drains that were placed in my liver were working (good placement, good drainage and just overall looking like a successful procedure).

The Bad News
I have Pancreatitis

I'm sorry, but the last time I was in this ER #14 I was struggling with the fact that I was being told I had breast cancer and the possibility that it had spread to my liver.  I'm not trying to downplay Pancreatitis, but I was most definitely expecting worse news.   After hearing the news and sitting there looking around at my family that was with me... I was thinking to myself "AND does this mean the cancer has spread to my Pancreas? Does this mean I have Pancreatic cancer?"  I mean when you say you have bad news... I'm expecting to hear BAD news!  Nope!  Not the case at all.  I have Pancreatitis which is basically the inflammation of the Pancreas and is probably the root of the problems/bad side effects I've been experiencing lately. 

So right now I'm still in the hospital.  I've been told I'll be here another day or two.  Of course that's something I'll believe it when I see it.  But so far and as of now, everything is shaping up nicely.  My lab work is looking great and it's amazing how much better I'm feeling.   Yes, I'm feeling better, but I also don't want to portray this as a walk in the park (well, I guess that depends on what park you're walking in).  Anyway, right now I have a pretty nasty drain coming out of my stomach that is attached to a bag that is collecting all the extra bile (trust me, you don't want me to describe this any further).  I also have not been able to eat or drink since midnight on Thurs night.  This is due to the fasting I had to do for my procedure on Friday and then once it was discovered I had Pancreatitis, I was unable to eat or drink (not even water) because we do not want my pancreas to be working or excreting enzymes.  I was finally able to start a liquid diet today.  Who knew that a 1/4 cup of chicken broth, a couple bites of red jello and a half a cup of water could be so filling!  But hey, I'm ok with baby steps!  And as many of you also know, my blog can tend to have inside jokes planted here and there, so Mawmaw, this one goes out to you... Believe me, I would have requested yellow jello if I had the chance!  ;)

Alright, I need to wrap this up.  I've been trying to get this done in between the naps and the constant rotation of doctors and nurses coming in and out.  Thanks again for all the prayers, positive thoughts and good vibes you've been putting out there for me.  I've had a couple of requests for hospital visits and as much as I'd love the company, this has been a pretty exhausting experience for me.  Besides, I may be getting out of here tomorrow, right?!?

So to sum this up, I feel like we're getting things accomplished.  We've pinpointed issues that need to be taken care of and dammit, we're taking care of them!  I'm looking forward to seeing Dr. H at some point this week and figuring out what our next plan of attack will be!

Bad news... Pleeeeeeeeeease!!!


3 comments:

  1. Sweet Casey....my thoughts and prayers are with you! Blessings.... <> Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you are feeling better and sorry that you have been going through so much. You are one tough girl and I have faith that you will win this. Praying for you as always. Linda Taormina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings always. Lord today is the day we accept healing for our beloved Casey. Every cell in her body will be filled with all that is good. From head to toe health. In Jesus name we pray.

    ReplyDelete